Topics:29617  7.45
Users:10124  2.55
MEMBERS ONLINE
francus1971
There are 19 unlogged users and 1 registered user online
You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

Login  

New User? Sign Up!

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
factory5150Offline
Post subject: EBMM EVH bodies  PostPosted: May 12, 2013 - 02:44 PM

Up next on my to do list is to start making these things. I have my model basically figured out. I have the pickup cavities shaped so you aren't limited to using Dimarzio pickups. They will be routed so you can direct mount without shimming using short leg pickups. If overwhelming response is to use Dimarzio pickups I will reshape the cavity to look like the original instead of a universal dealio.

The neck pocket is 2 3/16 x 5/8 deep, so you could use any telecaster style neck with spoke wheel truss rod.

I can do whatever the hearts desire in regards to pickup configuration, rear cavity for piezo, sustainers etc. but obviously that would be custom stuff.

Any suggestions for the mounting holes would be helpful. I dont know how readily available the 5 screw EBMM neck plates are. I could always do a contoured heel with ferrules?

Let me know your thoughts!
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
GilmourDOffline
Post subject: RE: EBMM EVH bodies  PostPosted: May 12, 2013 - 10:03 PM

Is the neck pocket pushed further from the bridge so that a Tele neck would intonate in that? Or is it set up for the standard EBMM longer heel that extends past the 22nd fret?

Will there be options with and without binding?

Also, I see from your website you're planning on doing a Wolfgang body... Same deal?

Amps:
Line6 Flextone III XL
Line6 PODxt Live

factory5150Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 12, 2013 - 10:50 PM

I took the measurement off of my axis style guitar made by another luthier. I measured from the nut to the heel at 18 7/16 and from the nut to the posts at 25 1/8. So I would assume that would mean a EBMM longer heel neck would be necessary. I did some looking and couldn't find a 22 fret telecaster neck without a fretboard overhang so my apologies for the misinformation. If someone wants to double check those measurements with a real EBMM, that would set my mind at ease.

As for options with this and the Wolfgang body, they will be built to order. Too many variables for what the customer would request. Base woods, top woods, round overs, back contour option, scalloped heel, binding, etc. I wouldn't be able to have a standard ready to go for a body like this one. Like always my products are always open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
GilmourDOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 13, 2013 - 02:38 AM

Yeah, the EBMM neck heels go a little past the 22nd fret. It's similar to the Wolfgang neck pocket, which is also being used on the EVH Striped Series guitars.

Here's a link to a post about it and a picture: http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/showpos ... tcount=217

As far as a Wolfie body... Would that have a standard Strat neck pocket as an option? Other than that, if I were to somehow pull the money out of an orifice Shocked, I would probably just want a straight up basswood or ash body, no top, no binding.

Amps:
Line6 Flextone III XL
Line6 PODxt Live

factory5150Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 14, 2013 - 12:35 AM

Both of these bodies can be done with a strat neck pocket. That wouldn't be an issue at all. Like I said before both this body and the Wolfie bodies would be built to order.

bonganoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 16, 2013 - 05:32 PM

If you're going to make one with black binding, just put me on your waiting list Wink

factory5150Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 18, 2013 - 01:29 PM

I can do anything you want. I will be offering necks for these too..

Not sure if I want to do the EVH spec 2 3/16 heel or the Axis spec 2 1/4 heel.

Whats your guys thoughts?

Chris

GilmourDOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 19, 2013 - 01:28 AM

I never realized that the EVH and Axis had different heel specs. Hmmm... I'd probably go with 2-3/16, as that's also what I'd be used to from playing so many Fenders, if I were to order one of these.

However, I am more inclined to order a Wolfgang body and neck from you when you get those going. EVH Dancing Banana

Amps:
Line6 Flextone III XL
Line6 PODxt Live

factory5150Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 20, 2013 - 07:20 PM

Ill start working on the wolfgang again in a month or so. I should have it available by the end of the year.

I wish I still had my Wolfgang so I could make sure everything was accurate.

GilmourDOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 21, 2013 - 03:45 AM

if I were anywhere near you I'd let you take measurements of my Peavey US Special. I'm in Jersey, though.

Amps:
Line6 Flextone III XL
Line6 PODxt Live

5150perryOffline
Post subject: EBMM  PostPosted: Oct 31, 2013 - 02:52 AM

The AXIS is NOT 2 1/4 heel it is 2 3/16. I have both an AXIS and EVH and also make these bodies. Just an FYI!

Thanks

factory5150Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 31, 2013 - 10:29 PM

Sorry for the misinformation. I thought I read somewhere that Ernie Ball changed the heel on the axis to 2 1/4 to keep the high E string from slipping off the fret board. Whoops..

5150perryOffline
Post subject: EBMM  PostPosted: Nov 05, 2013 - 02:07 AM

They did widen the neck but around the 12 fret up or something for that reason. Not exactly sure though!

Later Very Happy

robszabOffline
Post subject: RE: EBMM  PostPosted: Nov 07, 2013 - 04:50 PM

Check this out.

This guy had an original EVH body and tried to put an Axis neck on it. He had to sand it down to make it fit.

spacetapeOffline
Post subject: RE: EBMM  PostPosted: Nov 08, 2013 - 12:08 AM

When I get a free moment I'll measure the necks of the EVH and the Axis necks, I have both. Hope it will help.

Dave

Jump to: