MEMBERS ONLINE
Big-AL
ninjaking67
raabid
There are 26 unlogged users and 3 registered users online
You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

Login  

New User? Sign Up!

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
van_halen_kidOffline
Post subject: Ed's drop to D method in the early days  PostPosted: Apr 08, 2013 - 06:01 AM

I noticed when watching the US Festival, the first song played is Romeo Delight which is in standard tuning, followed by Unchained in drop d. Theres about a 5 second gap in between the songs. There is no way Ed unlocked the nut, dropped to D and and locked it again in that amount of time, so how does he do it? Anyone know? I was thinking maybe they just edited that part of the video out but it doesn't look like there were any edits.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
Nix5150Offline
Post subject: RE: Ed  PostPosted: Apr 08, 2013 - 12:05 PM

Maybe the fine tuners? Im not big on the time era for floyds so not sure if they were out and on there yet. But i was able to do it on mine when i had it.

"A guitar is a very personal extension of the person playing it. You have to be emotionally and spiritually connected to your instrument. I'm very brutal on my instruments, but no all the time." -Edward Van Halen

van_halen_kidOffline
Post subject: RE: Ed  PostPosted: Apr 08, 2013 - 04:33 PM

it's a fine tuner floyd, so I guess that's possible I just don't see how he does it so fast and so perfect

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  
ECruzOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Ed  PostPosted: Apr 08, 2013 - 05:27 PM

van_halen_kid wrote:
it's a fine tuner floyd, so I guess that's possible I just don't see how he does it so fast and so perfect

he probably had it set up so that X amount of turns would give him the proper tuning.
I have it set up so that when i have the fine turner all the way out im in drop D (or D flat). Just tune all strings to pitch w/ fine turners at 50%, when they're all in tune i go back to the low E, pull the fine tuner about all the way out, leaving about 2 turns before its completely out, and tune to D or Db, once you clamp the nut the string will go a bit sharp, i then turn fine turner all the way out and im in drop D. Then i just turn the fine tuner down again till i find E or Eb to be in tune with the rest of the strings.

Once you figure out how many cents your string goes sharp after clamping the nut you can figure out the proper set up needed to maintain the fine tuners at say 50% allowing you to have enough room to retune as days go by.

DutchieOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Ed  PostPosted: Apr 08, 2013 - 05:47 PM

Apparently it was Ed's idea to have the fine tuners on the Floyd tune a full step up or down. When Floyd Rose was designing it, it was suggested to him to seek out Ed and see what he thought of it. That was one of Ed's suggestions...

Steve_U1SOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Ed  PostPosted: Apr 09, 2013 - 01:58 AM

Indeed so - I keep my low-E fine tuner on my EVH replicas set so that I can drop it to D within the range of the fine tuner... rather than using a D-Tuna.

5150robOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Ed  PostPosted: May 19, 2013 - 09:17 PM

ECruz wrote:
van_halen_kid wrote:

he probably had it set up so that X amount of turns would give him the proper tuning.
I have it set up so that when i have the fine turner all the way out im in drop D (or D flat). Just tune all strings to pitch w/ fine turners at 50%, when they're all in tune i go back to the low E, pull the fine tuner about all the way out, leaving about 2 turns before its completely out, and tune to D or Db, once you clamp the nut the string will go a bit sharp, i then turn fine turner all the way out and im in drop D. Then i just turn the fine tuner down again till i find E or Eb to be in tune with the rest of the strings.

Once you figure out how many cents your string goes sharp after clamping the nut you can figure out the proper set up needed to maintain the fine tuners at say 50% allowing you to have enough room to retune as days go by.

thats how I always did it with my guitars that did not have Dtunas and before they came out and it always worked well for me. I am sure if I could do it in my basement, Ed could do it live 10X better than I could.

Rob

BrianDOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Ed  PostPosted: Oct 06, 2013 - 10:38 PM

I have a boot vid where during the end of Romeo Delight the band holds out the last E note and you can hear Ed dropping his low E with the fine tuners.

RRvh1Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Ed  PostPosted: Oct 10, 2013 - 07:17 PM

BrianD wrote:
I have a boot vid where during the end of Romeo Delight the band holds out the last E note and you can hear Ed dropping his low E with the fine tuners.
I've heard a similar bootleg . The answers in this thread are indeed correct . Eddie had enough travel on the fine tuners to drop the low E a whole step.

Lot's of us have done it , and it works well . I was always puzzled about how he dropped his whole guitar a full step on the live versions of 5150 . Probably a similar method ?

RRvh1Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Ed  PostPosted: Oct 10, 2013 - 07:20 PM

I have heard a similar bootleg . The answers in this thread are indeed correct . Eddie had enough travel with his fine tuners to drop the low E a whole step . We've all done it and it works well .

I was always puzzled how he'd drop his whole guitar down while performing 5150 live . Probably a similar method ?

BrianDOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Ed  PostPosted: Oct 10, 2013 - 11:14 PM

Was that using the Trans Trem?

RRvh1Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Ed  PostPosted: Oct 11, 2013 - 12:35 AM

BrianD wrote:
Was that using the Trans Trem?

No , this was on his regular 5150 Kramer . LWAN dvd .

BrianDOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Ed  PostPosted: Oct 11, 2013 - 01:52 AM

Ahhh...I don't know much about the 5150 and later stuff. Never liked Sammy.

RRvh1Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Ed  PostPosted: Oct 11, 2013 - 02:14 AM

BrianD wrote:
Ahhh...I don't know much about the 5150 and later stuff. Never liked Sammy.

Not to worry , lots of people don't . Haha
I like all of Ed's music though . I concentrate on that instead of the singer debates ... Apple and oranges .
EVH Ninja

Jump to: